Thursday, May 26, 2011

How to Hand Sew Your Own Little Felt Coin Purse

Assalamualaikum wbt and good day everyone!

Fancy a little felt coin purse? Either you can choose one of the wonderful felt crafters from Malaysia's Craftzone to do the job (They are real good!) or satisfy those itchy little fingers and make one yourself! I made one recently because...

  1. My wallet do not have coin working coin compartment....
  2. Im tired of exploring my bag for coin.
  3. I happened to have a felt sheet with nice design.
  4. Im a bit stressed. Ha!
  5. Itchy little fingers.
So, this was born...
Me being histrionic via photoshop.
As you can see, the sewing bit is a bit ...err... erroneous. That aside, I think I did a good job considering I conjure my own little pattern out of nowhere. Hey, its for personal use too. So, fair enough! Oh, I thought of sharing the steps with you. Just in case... but note nowhere in the tutorial I will specify any measurements. Im not a ruler person so its all approximation.

So, enough with the pleasantries... So you will need these...
A set of clip button (?), one normal button for decorative purpose, some  felt sheets.
...don't forget needle, thread and scissors of course. I used a patterned one and a solid coloured sheet. It's up to your taste, really. Do cut them to desired size.



1. Position the clip button (Im not sure of the appropriate term) at the centre and sew them.
2. Then flip to other side... you will see a bit of unsighty thread marks. So I sew a button over it. It makes the purse cuter too I suppose.
3. Locate the inner clip button position and cut rounded shape according to its size on the other sheet.


4. Align them.
5. Sew them together by blanket stitch / insang pari. Oh, not shown in picture, use thread with same colour as the inner felt (yellow in this case), and throw some reinforcing stitch around the clip button.
Getting more interesting, right?
At this point I stopped and thinkof how Im going to get a shape that will allow the purse to stand on its own. (and I forgot Mr Google...) so thats where this 2 little flaps come into picture.

This require a bit of adjustment. Thats the art of it. ;p
So the height of the rectangle will determine height of your purse.  And the length will determine the maximum breadth of the purse, at the bottom. The midlength will determine the bredth at the opening side. To approximate the height I suggest you read on through a few steps and this will give you some idea before you start.

6. Mark the horizontal midpoint of the rectangle using pen/ cloth marker.Then choose appropriate height... and make a horizontal line around 1.5-2 cm.  This part will be folded later. Also mark one oblique line each like in the picture.
7. Oblique line will be the guide. Put the rectangle in between 2 felt sheets.

Its taking shape!
8. Sew (using any technique you like...) the inner felt and the rectange. Do not sew in the outer felt too.
9. Fold as shown.

Reinforcing structure.
10. Sew the base (the folded rectangle with inner felt).

Almost!
11. Sew the side (rectangle + inner felt + outer felt). Sewing direction is just a suggestion.

There you go!

12. Sew to the end. :p


So, thats all folks. There are a lot of better tutorials in the net, just in case I confuse you. 
Happy trying!




No comments: